Saturday, February 25, 2012

Smacking my head

So last night my husband went out to have a few beers with some former students - one of which had just turned 21. He came home just as I had gotten the little boys in bed.  I was headed to go brush my teeth and he picked me up - threw me over his shoulder and headed towards the bed.

What did I do... I totally went into 'mom' mode - worried about his shoulder.  Geez, I'm not his mom - I'm his wife.  Sometimes it is so hard to switch gears.  I threw us into reverse last night.

What a moron I am.

So today - I will ask him to please throw me over his shoulder 'the good one' and take me to bed.

2 comments:

  1. That's funny! Mrs. Ironwood does something similar, if I go all Conan on her. I'm trying to get her to switch to "tavern wench" mode a little more easily, but I do understand that she's got to be a Mom, first.

    That being said, as much as I love the nurturing she provides for me and my family, she needs to be reminded every now and then that she is not my mother and I am not her child, I'm her husband. There are times when I need that level of support, say in deep emotional distress.

    But if I'm dragging her back to my cave by her hair, you can assume that the kind of emotional distress I'm in doesn't require a mother's love.

    Keep up the good work. And don't be surprised if he seems reluctant to throw you over his shoulder without the benefit of a couple of beers. Just don't let him apologize for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL It can be hard to switch gears from 'Mom' to 'Wife'...even I get that.

    ReplyDelete